Why Vizioneer?

My photo
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
The "Vizioneer" comes from mashing two words that have shaped my world for most of my adult life - Engineer and [data] Visualizations (or Vizes to those who know what's up). Graduating from first from Oglethorpe University in Atlanta, followed by Georgia Tech with my Bachelors and Masters in Civil Engineering, all of which taught me to think through anything and everything - problem solving, "engineering" solutions, teaching to the "ah ha" moments - is what I love to do. In 2010 that investigative, engineering mindset intersected a job change and a plunge into the world of Data Analysis. In the search for the next great thing I stumbled on to a data visualization and dashboarding product called Tableau software and things just took off. So now I guess you could call me that engineer with the sweet data visualizations - or just "The Vizioneer" :)

In 2013, I joined the incredible team at Slalom, focusing on Tableau and it's been an amazing experience. Recently in 2014, I was honored and humbled to receive Tableau's highest recognition of being named a Tableau Zen Master. Follow along to see what happens next :)

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Day 22: In Dashboard Navigation

Sometimes just putting tabs in a dashboard doesn't quite make it easy enough to navigate.  When your users need to go sheet to sheet, it's time add in in-dashboard navigation.



This is going to be a good one to follow our post on Click Button Filters on Day 20 as we're basically just creating another button, and using it as a filter - just filtering to a different dashboard through a dashboard action.


So here's what we're going to do.  We're going to create a button that goes back forth between the dashboards we made on Day 21 and Day 20.  Just like on Day 20, we're going to create a sheet with a button.  This time it's going to be a shape.  You ready?  Here we go.


New sheet.  The data can be anything as we're not really using any real data fields.  We're going to throw "One" (=1) on the Columns shelf and change it to a dimension.  We're going to change the mark types to shapes, head over to the Arrows folder, and pick one (I like the one in the shape of a circle pointing to the left, but that's just me).  Make it bigger so you can actually see it.  You should  be looking something like this:























Right click on the axis and edit.  Change it to a fixed range from 0 to 5, and then right click and uncheck show header.  Now, also bring "One" one to Label.  Once you have something on the Label Shelf you can click it and hit the ellipses ( the ...), delete what's there and type in what you want the back button to say.  I'm going with "Click here to go back".  Looking like this:


























While we're taking care of look and feel, click on Tooltip, clear out the text that's there by default and rewrite the same text as your label.  Also uncheck the box on the bottom left.  


Ok, now bring this sheet in to your dashboard(s) (I find that floating is the easiest way to do this), typically in to the top left.  Here's where the trick comes in.  Select that back button sheet, and go to dashboard actions>>Add Actions>>Filter.  Check only the Back Button sheet on the source sheet, and CHANGE THE TARGET SHEET to the dashboard you want to go to.  This is important - set your Target Filter to Selected Fields (and don't add in a field).  Make the action run on Select and it should all look like this:







































Test it out by clicking on the arrow (if it's already selected, you have to click it to deselect, and click it again select and run the action.  


Do the same thing in the other sheet, and now you'll be able to to go back and forth without needing to go to the tabs.  Check it out below:





That's it.  See you tomorrow.

Nelson

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read testimonies and reviews about him so I contacted him immediately, explained my problems to him. Same day , he casted a spell for me and assured me for 2 days that my husband will return to me and to my greatest surprise the third day my husband came knocking on my door and begged for forgiveness. I am so happy that my love is back again and not only that, we are about to get married again, he proposed. I wouldn't stop talking about him. Contact him today if you need his help via email: emutemple@gmail.com and you will see that your problem will be solved without any delay. Website: https://emutemple.wordpress.com/ whatsapp number +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been suffering from (HERPES) disease for the last four years and had constant pain, especially in my mouth. During the first year, I had faith in God that I would be healed someday. This disease started circulate all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (HIV and Cancer) by this Man Dr OSO and she also gave the email address of this man and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so i wrote to Dr OSO telling him about my (#HERPES Virus) he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! hmm i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as Dr OSO assured me that i have cured, after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have be finally healed behold it was TRUE, So friends my advice is if you have such sickness or any other at all you can email Dr OSO .

     drosohaberhome@gmail.com 

    call him WhatsApp +2348162084839

    https://sites.google.com/view/drosohaberhome/

    ReplyDelete